IMC USA maintains five classes of membership, each of which is entitled to different benefits of membership and varying access to IMC resources. Individuals may only join as Professional, Affiliate, or Student Members. Election to Certified and Emeritus Member is based on credentials and experience. Compare Benefits of IMC Member Categories
A Professional Member is a practicing management consultant, or a potential management consultant, who agrees to subscribe to the IMC Code of Ethics and who may choose to work towards the Institute's professional qualification of CMC. The applicant must provide evidence of AT LEAST ONE of the criteria listed below:
- Minimum of one years experience as a management consultant.
- At least five-years experience in management.
- At least five years experience in a technical or professional specialty.
- Masters Degree in Business or related field (e.g., MBA ).
- Currently working as a consultant within an IMC Accredited Practice.
Professional members are voting members and receive the full benefits of the Institute. Professional Member annual dues are $325 (can be prorated) plus a $50 application fee.
An Affiliate Member is a professional who has an interest in serving or providing services to the management consulting profession and supports the mission of the Institute.
This category of membership is for those who are not practicing management consultants, or who have not yet reached the criteria for Professional Membership but wish to provide services or sell services or products to consultants. Affiliates may include users of management consulting services, academics, technology providers, other professional service providers, journalists, and professional managers. Affiliate members must abide by the IMC USA Code of Ethics.
Affiliate members are NOT voting members and may not receive the full benefits of the Institute. Affiliate Member annual dues are $495 (plus a $50 application fee).
A Student Member is a full-time college or university student who has an interest in management consulting and supports the objectives of the Institute.
The special Student Affiliate rate is for those actively studying at an Accredited University or College, who may become management consultants, and who agree to abide by the IMC USA Code of Ethics. Student Affiliates may continue at the student rate as long as they continue to be a student in good standing or 12 months immediately subsequent to graduation, and not actively pursuing consulting clients.
Student Affiliates are NOT voting members and may not receive the full benefits of the Institute. Student Member annual dues are $95 (no application fee).
A Certified Member is a CMC who is in good standing and has demonstrated competence and understanding in a range of consulting situations against an agreed standard and has agreed to abide by the IMC USA Code of Ethics.
The CMC® designation is awarded through an assessment process which requires you to present evidence of your competence in management consulting processes and your area of technical specialization against the Institute's Competency Framework. CMC. are also tested against their understanding of the IMC Code of Ethics. CMC. candidate must meet the following criteria:
- Document 3 years experience in the full time practice of management consulting, with major responsibility for client engagements during at least one of those years.
- Possess a bachelors degree from an Accredited College or University.
- Provide multiple references, most of them from officers or executives of clients served
- Provide written summaries of client engagements
- Pass a qualifying interview by other CMC.s
- IMC Professional Member in good standing for at least one year preceding application for CMC. designation.
Certified members are voting members and receive the full benefits of the Institute. Their current annual fees are $395 (can be prorated) plus application fees.
The CMC Emeritus category honors those management consultants who have achieved and maintained CMC® in good standing, and who are semi-retired from consulting. The CMC will have reduced his / her consulting practice by at least 50% (assuming the previous practice was consulting as the primary occupation).
The formula for eligibility is age plus years membership in IMC, and the lower cutoff for eligibility is 90. Additionally, the applicant must have been a CMC for a minimum of 15 years, and is currently a CMC. The criteria are:
- The CMC will be 60 years of age or older.
- The CMC will have been a member of IMC USA for at least 20 years.
- The CMC has been a CMC for 15 years or more, and is currently a CMC.
- The CMC will achieve a minimum of 90 points when calculating age + years of membership, with the following options for bonus points: 5 points if the CMC is an FIMC and up to 5 points (1 point per year) for each year served as a Chapter President, Member of the IMC USA Board, IMC USA Committee Chair, or National Conference Chair.
Current CMC Emeritus' annual CMC fess are $150. They receive full benefits as a member of the Institute, and certification renewal is not required.
The Retired Professional Member
category recognizes those management consultants who are members in good standing, who completely retired and no longer employed in (work for hire) consulting and want to continue to belong to IMC USA to make a contribution to the community, the national organization and/or the profession and continue to represent IMC USA . Retired Members may convert back to full Professional Membership at any time based on a change in their employment status.
The formula for eligibility is age plus years membership in IMC, the criteria are:
- The Retired Professional Member will be 55 years of age or older.
- They will have been a member of IMC USA for at least 5 years and currently a member in good standing of IMC USA.
Current Retired Professional annual dues are 50% of the current professional member dues. The Retired Professional Member receives full membership benefits.
An ICMCI Associate Member This category of membership is for those individuals who hold a full membership in their "home” Institute. Individuals are required to provide proof of membership in good standing in their home institute.
ICMCI Associate members are NOT voting members and may not receive the full benefits of the Institute. ICMCI Associate Member dues are $50 (no application fee).